Low Country Boil
- OPTIONAL PER PERSON:
- 1/2 pound kielbasa or turkey kielbasa (per person)
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp in shell (per person)
- 3 small new potatoes (per person)
- 1 ear corn (per person)
- Cayenne to taste
- Cloves to taste
- Garlic to taste
- Bay leaves to taste
- Old Bay seasoning to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Tabasco pepper sauce to taste
- 2 small onions
- 1 carrot quartered
- 1 crab - (to 2)
Boil water in a very large steam kettle on stove or on an outdoor cooker. Season water with your choice of mentioned flavorings along with a little lemon juice or vinegar. Add potatoes, carrots, sausage and onions. Bring back to a boil and boil until almost tender.
Add corn-on-the cob and crabs and boil for 5 minutes longer. Finally, add shrimp and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes more, or until shrimp are just cooked. Enjoy with cornbread, slaw, and watermelon!
This recipe yields 1 serving.