Zuppa Di Raffano
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 4 ounces speck cut 1/4" dice
- 2 medium Spanish onions finely chopped
- 3 medium potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/4" cubes
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated horseradish divided
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- Poppy seeds
In a heavy-bottomed 6-quart soup pot, heat lard and speck until smoking over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft but not brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add potatoes, 1/2 cup horseradish, chicken stock, cream and wine and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes and lower heat to medium. Cook just below the boil for 1 hour, until potatoes have fallen apart.
Season with salt and pepper and garnish with scallions, fresh horseradish and poppy seeds.
This recipe yields 4 servings.