Zuppa Di Pesce From Viareggio
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 8 giant crayfish
- 8 mussels
- 8 littleneck clams
- 8 razor clams
- 1/2 pound red snapper fillet cut 1/2" cubes
- 4 slices country bread, 1" thick
- 1 garlic clove whole
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped Italian parsley
In a large casserole heat 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil over moderate heat. Add celery, sliced garlic, onion, pepper flakes, and rosemary and cook until translucent (about 6 to 8 minutes). Add Basic Tomato Sauce, wine and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add fish and cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce heat and simmer until shellfish have opened (5 to 6 minutes).
Toast bread and while still hot, rub with garlic. Place one slice in each of 4 bowls. Divide fish first, then the broth among bowls and sprinkle heavily with parsley. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.