Ghostly Pumpkin Pudding
Homemade pumpkin pudding is really easy to make and so much more flavorful than a box. Topped with a homemade meringue that is decorated to look like a spooky ghost.
- 1 package gelatin
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks (reserve 2 whites for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch fine salt
- Small candy, for eyes
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 40mins
Put 1 tablespoon of cold water in a large bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over the surface, do not stir, and set aside until gelatins softens and blooms, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a saucepan that can hold a stand mixer’s bowl above the water. Whisk milk, sugar, yolks, cinnamon and salt in a heat-proof bowl. Set the bowl above the boiling water and cook, stirring constantly with a heat-proof spatula, until mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon and almost boils, 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat and pour over the gelatin, whisking constantly until gelatin is completely dissolved and evenly distributed. Whisk in pumpkin until combined and completely smooth.
Evenly divide mixture into 12 small 3-ounce cups (paper works fine) and refrigerate until set, about 4 to 8 hours.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a saucepan that can hold a stand mixer’s bowl above the water. Whisk the 2 egg whites, sugar, cream of tarter, and salt in the bowl by hand. Set the bowl above the boiling water and continue whisking until the mixture is hot to the touch and the sugar dissolves, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer bowl to mixer and beat with the whisk attachment at medium-high speed until eggs hold a stiff peak, about 5 minutes.
Spoon topping onto puddings in the shape of a ghost. Decorate with candy eyes and refrigerate until ready to serve.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (673 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (487 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (449 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (398 Votes)