Trout Piemontese Style
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil divided
- 4 medium trout - (abt 2lbs total) seasoned with
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 celery stalk thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup Barbera or Dolcetto wine (dry red wine from Piedmont)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped Italian parsley
In a 12-inch to 14-inch non-stick saute pan, heat 4 tablespoons oil until smoking. Place 2 fish in pan and saute until golden-brown on first side, about 8 to 9 minutes. Turn and cook other side in the same manner. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 fish. Place fish on a serving platter in a warm oven.
In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons more oil, add celery, onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add rosemary, vinegar and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce by half, swirl in butter and stir to emulsify. Remove fish from oven. Add parsley to sauce and pour over fish. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.