- One 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 T EVOO, plus more for frying
- All purpose flour for dredging
- 4 lg. eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 lb eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 c basil leaves
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 47mins
Preheat oven to 350
In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes with their juices and the 2 T EVOO. Season with salt.
Put the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs in 3 shallow bowls. Working with 1 slice eggplant at a time, dredge in flour, shake off excess, dip in eggs, coat with breadcrumbs.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/8 in of EVOO until shimmering. Line a rack with papertowels. Add 1/3 of the garlic and breaded eggplant to the hot oil, cook until golden brown and tender. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard fried garlic. Repeat 2 more times.
Lightly oil a 10 inch springform pan. Line bottom with layer of eggplant. Spread with 1/2 c sauce. Top with mozzarellaand sprinkle with 3 T parmesan cheese. Tear 1/3 of the basil leaves over cheese. Repeat for 4 layers ending with eggplant and sauce. Sprinkle remaining parmesan on top.
Wrap entire pan with foil and set on baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour.
Increase oven temp tp 400. Remove foil from top and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before unmolding. Cut into wedges and serve.