- 4 cups virgin olive oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Spanish sparkling wine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 jumbo egg whites
- 4 large perfect peaches
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apricot jelly warmed in saucepan
- 1/2 cup almonds finely chopped
- to a powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar to garnish
Preheat oil to 375 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and sparkling wine. Stir in oil. Whisk whites to soft peaks and fold gently into sparkling wine mixture and set aside.
Peel peaches and cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges. Dip each peach into sugar and then dip into warm jelly. Finally, dip each peach wedge into almond powder. When oil is ready, dip prepped peach pieces into batter, drop into oil and cook until crisp and light golden brown.
Add lemon juice to remaining jelly and place into bowl in center of service platter. Remove fritters to drain on paper towel, dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
This recipe yields 4 servings.