Pato En Salsa - (Duck With Salsa)
- FOR SEASONED FLOUR:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- FOR THE DUCK:
- 2 small ducks - (2 1/2 lbs ea) cut 6 pieces each, backbone discarded
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion chopped 1/2" dice
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Dredge duck pieces in seasoned flour. Heat oil in a 12- to 14-inch saute pan (with lid) until just smoking. Add 4 pieces duck and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 7 to 9 minutes, and remove to a plate. Continue with remaining pieces.
After removing last pieces, add onion, garlic, cumin and brown sugar and cook until softened and light brown (sugar should almost be syrupy). Add sherry vinegar and reduce to nothing. Add cinnamon stick, red wine and tomato paste. Return duck to pan and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer for 40 minutes. Remove cover, check for seasoning and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.