Patatas Campesinas - (Country Potatoes)
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup roasted peppers in 1/4" dice
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Cut into quarters and set aside.
In a 12- to 14-inch saute pan, heat oil until smoking. Add onion, bay leaf, garlic, cumin and walnuts and cook until onions are soft and golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add potatoes and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper and cook 4 to 5 minutes more, or until completely hot and just starting to fall apart. Add peppers, toss through and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.