Pappardelle With Chicken Livers Tuscan Farmer-Style
- 1 recipe Basic Fresh Egg Pasta dough (see recipe)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped 1/4" dice
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped rosemary leaves
- 2 anchovy fillets rinsed, patted dry, and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound chicken livers rinsed, patted dry
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can peeled tomatoes - (28 oz) crushed, and mixed with juices
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat 6 quarts water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 12- to 14-inch skillet heat olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until softened and lightly browned. Add rosemary and anchovies and continue cooking one minute more. Add chicken livers and cook 10 minutes until gray-brown in color.
Add red wine and tomatoes and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer 20 minutes, mashing livers with spoon each time you stir. The sauce should be quite thick. Season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
Roll out the Basic Fresh Egg Pasta dough to 1/8-inch thick sheets and cut into 1-inch ribbons, 12 to 14 inches long, cut with a jagged pastry cutter. Drop pasta into boiling water and cook approximately 1 minute until al dente. Drain in colander over sink.
Add hot pasta to skillet with sauce and cook 1 minute over medium heat until sauce is tightly bound to noodles yet loose enough to move. Portion into four warmed pasta bowls, gently using tongs. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.