Panzanella - (Bread Salad)
- 2 cups Raw Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- 1 medium cucumber seeded ,and sliced 1/16" and cut in half-moons
- 1 fennel bulb halved, and sliced into 1/8" half-moons
- 3 cups cubed day old bread (crusty peasant loaf)
- 6 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers drained of brine
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded, and sliced into 1/8" long slices
In a large mixing bowl add Raw Tomato Sauce, cucumber, fennel and cubed bread. Toss to mix. Pour olive oil and vinegar over the mixture and toss again. Add capers, red onion and bell pepper, toss once again.
The entire process takes no more than 5 minutes. The panzanella may be served immediately or an hour later. As time passes the salad becomes softer in texture.
This recipe yields 4 servings.