Oxtail Stew Alla Cordobesa
- 5 pounds oxtails cut 1 1/2" pieces
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 large Spanish onions cut 1/2" thk slices
- 10 dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 pound tomatoes peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot cut 1/2" coins
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Place oxtail pieces in a large soup pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Allow to cool, trim off large pieces of fat and set aside broth.
In another large soup pot, heat oil until smoking and add garlic, onions, apricots, raisins, coriander seeds and paprika and cook until softened and golden brown. Add tomatoes, carrots and red wine and bring to a boil.
Season cooked oxtails with salt and pepper and place in pot with wine mixture. Return to boil, lower heat and simmer 1 1/4 hours, adding retained broth, if necessary, to keep liquid over level of meat.
Turn heat to medium-high and reduce liquid by half, about 10 to 15 minutes. Check for seasoning and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.