Waldorf Spinach Toss
This simple recipe takes two old classic favorites and combines them into one deliciously-tasty and healthy dish for a new Holiday salad.
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 red apple, with peel, cored and sliced in thin wedges
- 1 orange peeled (white pith removed), halved and thinly sliced. Can also used canned mandarins.
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 2 (10-ounce) or 2 (285-g) Spinach bunches, torn bite size
- 1/4 cup reserved toasted pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 23mins
Toast pecans in 350°F oven for 5 to 8 minutes until lightly browned. Reserve 1/4 cup for dressing.
Place pecans, apple, orange, onion and spinach in large salad bowl.
Dressing: Combine reserved pecans, sugar, mustard, hot pepper sauce, vinegar and cooking oil in blender. Blend for 2 minutes until smooth.
Pour over spinach mixture and toss to coat salad.