Sweet-and-Sour Pineapple Chutney
Mixing sweet pineapple, onion and vinegar with a quick, light caramel sauce results in a fabulous sweet-and-sour chutney.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple (12 ounces)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a saucepan, combine the sugar with 2 tablespoons of the water; cook over high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until the sugar begins to caramelize around the edges, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the pineapple, onion, crushed red pepper, vinegar and the remaining 3/4 cup of water; season lightly with salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until jamlike, 15 minutes. Stir in the mint. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The chutney can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Fish, chicken, pork, steak.
You'll also love
- Soybean Salad with Walnut Pesto,... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Country French Pork Chops 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Fried Egg, Asparagus Crimini... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Cauliflower and Grapes 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- PEACH CRUNCH PIE 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Apple Pie Shot 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream -... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE 4.5/5 (27 Votes)