Moist. You would never believe it is Gluten Free! All in a 9x13 pan
- 12.5 ounces all-purpose gluten-free flour* (about 2 1/2 cups)
- [I used 1/2 cup each of sorghum flour, tapioca flour, almond flour, white
- rice flour and cornstarch]
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum (omit if flour blend has xanthan)
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (or oil)
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots (from about 1 lb. carrots)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream or half and half
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. I used a glass Pyrex pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat sugar, brown sugar and eggs on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
Reduce speed to low, and slowly add the applesauce, oil, and melted butter. Mi on high for one minute, or until mixture is well mixed and light in color.
Turn off mixer and stir in by hand the carrots and dry ingredients until no loose flour remains.
Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. (Mine took 37 minutes.)
Let cake cool, in pan, on a wire rack.
When cake is cool, mix up cream cheese icing:
In a mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 3 minutes, or until soft, creamy and combined thoroughly.
Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until well mixed.
Add the heavy cream or half and half, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired thickness and taste.
Use a spatula or icing knife to spread frosting evenly over cooled cake.