Fruit and Nut Scones
This recipe uses dried fruit
- 1 cup (5 oz) whole almonds
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp unbleached pastry flour or unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 stick plus 1 Tbsp ( 4 1/2 oz) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and frozen
- 2 tsp finely chopped orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup (3 oz) currants
- 1 cup (5 oz) golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (8 oz) dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cream and 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for brushing
- powdered sugar for decorating
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast in oven until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Shake pan halfway through to ensure that the just toast evenly. Cool, chop coarsely and set aside.
Turn oven up to 350. In a bowl of food processor with steel blade or in bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment, combine flours; baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and oats; process or mix on low to incorporate. Add butter and pulse on and off, or mix on low, until mixture is pale yellow and consistency of fine cornmeal.
Transfer to mixing bowl and toss with almonds, orange zest, currants, raisins, cherries and flax seeds. Make well in center and pour in buttermilk with one hand, mix in dry ingredients, just until combined. Wash and dry hands and dust with flour. Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface and knead gently a few times and gather into ball. Place in center of 10 inch ring, or springform pan. With hands, press dough into circle, about 1 inch thick. Remove ring and cut circle in eighths. Arrange triangles, 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheet.
Brush with cream and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until firm and well browned. Cool and sift powdered sugar over all.