Red Wine-Braised Brisket
Red Wine-Braised Brisket is a rich and hearty main dish that can be served at any special occasion, dinner party, or holiday gathering. Robust, deep flavors of velvety red wine and caramelized onions come together to enrich this meaty dish with scrumptious flavor. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and a lightly dressed side salad for a decadent meal that all your guests will rave about.
- 1 (5-pound) untrimmed flat-cut brisket
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks with leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle full-bodied red wine
- 8 small whole carrots
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 240mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Season brisket with salt and pepper liberally to taste. Heat oil in a large ovenproof pot over medium-high. Cook brisket, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a plate. Pour off fat from pot; discard.
Place onions, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, tomatoes, tomato paste, and wine in pot and stir to combine; season with salt and pepper. Place brisket on top, fat side up. Cover and braise in oven, spooning juices, onions, and tomatoes over brisket every 30 minutes, until meat is fork-tender, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Uncover pot, nestle carrots around brisket, and cook until carrots are tender, top of brisket is browned and crisp, and sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. Skim fat from surface of sauce; discard. Remove brisket from pot and slice against the grain to serve.
If not serving immediately, transfer brisket to a large bowl and pour braising liquid over; let cool in sauce. Cover and chill, at least 4 hours and up to 4 days. To serve, preheat oven to 325°F. Skim fat from surface of sauce; discard. Cover and reheat brisket in sauce, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
You'll also love
- COFFEE BANANA PUDDING (THE CHEW) 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Pork Medallions with Balsamic... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Italian Wedding Soup-Beef Version 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- White Christmas Cookie 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Maple Dijon Chicken... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie with... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Avocado Bacon Omelets 4.5/5 (20 Votes)