Steaks Bearnaise Over Potato Cakes
- 2 cups prepared sour cream and chive mashed potatoes
- 1/3 cup cooked bacon pieces
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 TBS + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (NY strip, skirt, or ribeye)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 TBS canola oil, divided (1 TBS / 2 TBS)
- 1 bag (9 oz) fresh spinach
- 1 (10 oz) container garlic cooking crème, divided (1/2 cup / remainder)
- 2 TBS béarnaise sauce mix
Adapted from publix.com
1. Combine mashed potatoes, bacon, cheese, 2 TBS flour (or more, if potatoes are too soft), and egg until blended. Form into 6 patties. Place 1/2 cup flour on plate; coat both sides of patties with flour. Set aside.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Season steaks with kosher salt and pepper. Place 1 TBS oil in pan, then add steaks; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until 145F (for medium rare). Remove steaks from pan; cover to keep warm.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Place remaining 2 TBS oil in pan, then add 3 potato patties. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 3 patties.
4. Place spinach in large microwave-safe bowl and cover; microwave on high 4-5 minutes or until tender. Slice steak thinly across grain.
5. Combine 1/2 cup cooking crème and béarnaise sauce mix in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high 1 minute, stirring often, or until hot.
6. Drain spinach, if needed; stir in remaining cooking crème and kosher salt to taste. Divide spinach over potato cakes, top with steak, and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.