Grilled Rouget (Red Mullet) With Basic Beurre Blanc
- 8 small rouget - (abt 1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
- Salt to taste
- Virgin olive oil as needed
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine from Provence
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 8 ounces sweet butter cold, cut 1/4" dice
- 24 perfect basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Leeks Glazed In Vin D'Anjou (see recipe)
Gut and scale fish and season with salt. Brush fish with oil and place on grill. Cook until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes on a side.
Meanwhile, place shallots, wine and vinegar into a saucepan and boil until 3 to 4 tablespoons remain. Add butter all at once and whisk until emulsified and remove from heat.
Chiffonade 20 basil leaves and add to butter sauce along with pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Remove fish to platter, spoon sauce over and garnish with remaining basil leaves. Serve with Leeks Glazed In Vin D'Anjou.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.