Pan-Toasted Angel Food Cake with Vanilla Custard
- 4 eggs
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 purchased angel food cake, cut into 8 wedges
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- Additional thin strips of lemon peel and fresh mint leaves
Adapted from bhg.com
1. Separate egg whites and yolks; set aside. With vegetable peeler, remove peel from lemon in long strips and place in a medium saucepan. Juice lemon into a separate small saucepan and set aside.
2. Combine cream and sugar with lemon peel in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat just until mixture comes to a simmer. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl; slowly whisk in cream mixture. Pour mixture through fine mesh sieve back into pan (to remove peel). Cook and stir gently over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until mixture just begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Quickly cool custard by placing the saucepan in a large bowl of ice water for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
3. In shallow dish whisk together egg whites, cinnamon, and salt. In 12" nonstick skillet heat butter over medium heat. Dip cut sides of cake into egg mixture; add to skillet in 2 batches. Brown about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
4. Add apricot preserves to lemon juice in small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until preserves are melted.
5. To serve, pour some of the vanilla custard onto a plate or into a shallow bowl. Top with cake, preserves, lemon peel, and mint.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving = 13 Weight Watchers points.