Roast Beef Sandwiches with Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise and Roasted Red Onions
These delicious sandwiches are from the Corner Bakery Cafe in Chicago.
- 3 large red onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), each cut through stem into 8 wedges, peeled
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 4x3-inch pieces ciabatta,* halved horizontally
- 16 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 2 cups arugula
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Gently toss red onions, 5 tablespoons oil and vinegar in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheet. Bake onions until brown at edges and just tender, about 40 minutes. Cool.
Mix mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, lemon peel and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl. (Onions and mayonnaise can be made 2 days ahead. Cover separately and chill.)
Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Place bottom halves on plates. Top with roast beef, onions and arugula. Cover with top halves of bread.
*Ciabatta is an oval-shaped flat Italian bread available at many bakeries and supermarkets nationwide.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (904 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (708 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (679 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)