Roast Beef Sandwiches with Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise and Roasted Red Onions
These delicious sandwiches are from the Corner Bakery Cafe in Chicago.
- 3 large red onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), each cut through stem into 8 wedges, peeled
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 4x3-inch pieces ciabatta,* halved horizontally
- 16 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 2 cups arugula
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Gently toss red onions, 5 tablespoons oil and vinegar in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheet. Bake onions until brown at edges and just tender, about 40 minutes. Cool.
Mix mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, lemon peel and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl. (Onions and mayonnaise can be made 2 days ahead. Cover separately and chill.)
Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Place bottom halves on plates. Top with roast beef, onions and arugula. Cover with top halves of bread.
*Ciabatta is an oval-shaped flat Italian bread available at many bakeries and supermarkets nationwide.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Throwdown Coconut Cake 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Beef Porcupine Meatballs 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Risotto with Leeks, Truffles, and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Pumpkin Seeds Roasted Italian style 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Curd in an Instant Pot 4.3/5 (55 Votes)
- Peas with Onions and Bacon*** 4.6/5 (31 Votes)