Bonacker-Style Clam Fritters
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 dozen cherrystone clams shucked, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup clam juice reserved from clams
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl. Whisk in eggs, lemon juice, clam juice, milk, butter, and cayenne, whisking until batter is smooth. Add parsley and clams, then season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Add vegetable oil to a heavy skillet to a depth of 1/8 inch and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, spoon about 2 tablespoons of clam batter for each fritter into the hot oil. (Work in batches and avoid crowding the pan.) Fry until golden on one side, then turn fritters and continue frying about 2 minutes more. Drain on paper towels. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields about 16 fritters.