Florida Citrus Crepes
Take a vacation with these Florida Citrus Crepes.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- dash of salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Citrus topping:
- 1 cup navel orange sections
- 1 cup red grapefruit sections
- 2 TBS chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 8 mint sprigs (optional)
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Pour 2 cups milk into a medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to pan. Cook milk over medium-high heat to 180F or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat.
2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add 1 cup hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 1 minute, then remove from heat. Spoon into a bowl; discard vanilla bean. Stir in sour cream. Place plastic wrap on surface of custard. Chill thoroughly.
1. Combine 1/2 cup milk and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a blender. Add flour, sugar, and salt. Process until smooth. Chill 1 hour.
2. Heat an 8" non-stick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan lightly with cooking spray. Pour about 3 TBS batter into pan. Quickly tilt pan in all directions so batter covers pan with a thin film. Cook about 2 minutes. Carefully lift the edge of the crepe with a spatula to test for doneness. Turn crepe when it can be shaken loose from the pan and the underside is lightly browned. Cook 1 minute or until center is set.
3. Place crepe on a towel; cool completely. Repeat procedure until all batter is used. Stack crepes between single layers of wax paper to prevent sticking.
1. Combine citrus sections, 1/4 cup sugar, and chopped mint. Toss gently to dissolve sugar.
To serve, place 1 crepe on each of 8 dessert plates. Spread about 1/3 cup chilled filling over each crepe. Fold each into a triangle. Top each serving with 1/4 cup fruit mixture. Sprinkle crepes evenly with confectioner's sugar. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Makes 8 crepes. Each crepe = 6 Weight Watchers points.