Risotto Alla Milanesa
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 pound beef marrow chopped 1/4" cubes
- 1 medium Spanish onion chopped 1/4" dice
- 2 cups Vialone Nano rice
- 6 cups strong chicken stock simmering
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/3 cup freshly-grated Parmigiano
In a 6-quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter with marrow and onion and cook over medium heat until onion is soft but not browned.
Add all the rice and, stirring regularly, cook until opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add a 6-ounce ladle of hot stock, 1/2 cup red wine and saffron and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook until stock level goes below level of rice.
Add another 6-ounce ladle and repeat the process for 16 minutes, until rice is al dente, yet creamy and tender.
Remove from heat and add cheese and remaining butter. Season to taste and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.