- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 medium red onion chopped 1/2" dice
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, sliced thin
- 1 medium carrot scraped, and chopped into 1/4" half-moons
- 2 celery ribs chopped 1/4" pieces
- 2 waxy potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 cups white cannellini or brown borlotti beans soaked, and cooked perfectly
- 4 cups reserved bean liquid
- 1 cup Basic Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard chopped 1/2" ribbons
- 1 bunch kale chopped 1/2" ribbons
- 1 bunch black cabbage (cavolo nero) chopped 1/2" ribbons
- 4 slices country bread toasted
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano
In a large 8-quart pot, heat oil, onion and garlic together and cook until soft. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, 2 cups of beans, 4 cups of bean cooking liquid (or water) and Basic Tomato Sauce and bring to a boil.
Lower heat, add chard, kale, black cabbage and simmer 1 1/2 hours until everything is soft. Add remaining beans and adjust seasoning. Allow to cool and rest overnight.
The following day, bring to a boil and serve in shallow bowls over toasted bread. Sprinkle with parmigiano tableside.
This recipe yields 4 servings.