Not your traditional paella, which takes a very long time, but a really delicious one. Very versatile because you can use any kind of shellfish you like.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into chunks
- 4 tbs olive oil, 1 Tbs paprika, 2 tsps dried oregano, salt & pepper
- 1 lb or more cooked chorizo sliced diagonally 1/2 thick (can use linguica or
- 1 large Spanish onion, medium diced
- 1 large red bell pepper (or 4 small red, yellow & orange) cut into medium dice. Can add a poblano or jalapeno also.
- 4 large garlic cloves diced
- 2 cups aborio rice
- 1 large pinch saffron threads; 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (I use the one with the spicy jalapenos in it)
- 1 qt. low salt chicken broth
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 lb scallops (feel free us substitute any shell fish (mussels, clams) In a pinch I use all shrimp
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed ; 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Add 2 tbs oil, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper to chicken and mix well until coated. Heat a large roasting pan or oven ready deep fry pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook, turning until browned on both sides. Transfer to plate.
Add remaining oil to pan and cook chorizo until well browned. Add onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until tender (around 4-5 minutes). Stir in saffron & pepper flakes. (can cover and put aside until around 45 minutes before serving). Reheat to simmer, add aborio and mix well
Add tomatoes and chicken broth and cook for around 3 minutes. Nestle chicken pieces evenly throughout pan. Bake for approx 25 minutes, then spread shrimp and scallops (and whatever shellfish included) and bake for another 12-15 minutes (or until any shell fish open). Remove from oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve