Slow Cooker Sweet potato, chicken, and quinoa soup
Instead of chicken broth, I used chicken flavor bouillon cubes and made my own chicken broth - I think it has more flavor and it is cheaper this way!
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa (I used a black bean quinoa package)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1 pound or ~3-1/2 cups)
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- 5 cups chicken broth*
- Optional: fresh parsley
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 250mins
Adapted from chelseasmessyapron.com
1. Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Remove the fat from the chicken breasts and put them into the slow cooker along with the rinsed quinoa.
2. (I found a black beans seasoned quinoa package which I used and loved, but regular quinoa will work as well, just make sure to rinse it well.)
3. Remove the skins and chop the sweet potatoes into cubes adding them into the slow cooker.
4. Drain and rinse the black beans and add those in. Add in the undrained petite diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chili seasoning mix, and chicken broth.
5. Place on high for 3-5 hours (It took 4 hours on high for my crockpot.)
6. Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir all the ingredients together.
7. Add salt and pepper and if desired fresh parsley.
8. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Chicken Sauté with Thyme, Lemon... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Shrimp Bruschetta 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Frozen Strawberry Margaritas 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Grilled Zucchini With Feta 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken & Broccoli Stromboli 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Potato Bisquick biscuits 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi with... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)