White Bean Cassoulet
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 pound white beans soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices smoked country bacon diced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary stripped, stem
- 8 basil leaves rinsed, stems
- chopped off
- 1 bunch chives
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Simmer the white beans in the stock with the country bacon until fork tender. Strain and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Mince the herbs and combine with the olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir into the reserved beans and season to taste with freshly ground salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Serve with "Grilled Rack Veal Chops" and "Exotic Mushroom Risotto" (see recipes).
This recipe yields 4 servings.