Sweet Pea Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 7 cups frozen sweet peas
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- Crème fraîche for garnish
- Fresh salmon caviar for garnish
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the onions; cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the peas and broth; simmer 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
Puree the soup in a blender, then strain to remove any pea skins. Return soup to the saucepan; season with salt and white pepper. Serve immediately in demitasse cups, dolloped with a teaspoon of crème fraîche and a touch of caviar.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per serving (without caviar or crème fraîche): 170 calories, 19g carbohydrate, 7g protein, 8g fat, 15mg cholesterol.