- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound tender green beans ends trimmed, blanched
- 1 pound tender wax beans ends trimmed, blanched
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas strings removed, blanched
- 6 large ripe tomatoes halved lengthwise, then cut into very thin wedges
- 2 large shallots slivered
- 1 1/2 cups whole fresh basil leaves rinsed, patted
- dry and slivered
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Prepare the vinaigrette: Mince the garlic with the salt and place it in a small bowl with the vinegar, mustard, sugar and pepper. Mix well. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly. Set aside.
Prepare the salad: Place the beans, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, shallots and basil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper; toss well. Just before serving, combine with the vinaigrette. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
Per serving: 150 calories, 14g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 9g fat, no cholesterol.