Summer Corn Chowder II
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and bruised
- 1 russet potato peeled, and cut into 1/2" dice
- 2 cups milk
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound slab bacon (rind removed) cut 1/4" dice
- 1 medium-sized onion cut 1/4" dice
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes seeded, and cut into 1/4" dice
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
Strip corn from cobs; set aside. Simmer cobs, broth and garlic in a pot, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Discard cobs and garlic. Stir in the potatoes and half of the reserved corn. Simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Puree; transfer to a bowl. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper; reserve.
Cook the bacon in a pot over low heat to render the fat, about 6 minutes. Add the onion; cook for 10 minutes. Add the reserved soup and remaining corn; simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and basil. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per serving: 240 calories, 31g carbohydrate, 9g protein, 10g fat, 20mg cholesterol.