Star Lamb And White Beans
- 6 pounds meaty lamb shanks
- 2 cups dried white navy beans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons drained tiny capers
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves bruised
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 cups water
- 5 medium carrots cut 1/4" dice, and lightly blanched
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Have a butcher cut the lamb shanks crosswise into 2-inch-thick pieces.
Soak the beans for 6 hours, or overnight, in cold water. Drain and rinse under cold water. Reserve.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Season flour with salt and pepper; dredge the lamb pieces lightly, shaking off the excess. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the lamb in batches. Remove to a plate and pour off the fat.
Place the reserved beans in the Dutch oven. Place the browned meat on top of the beans. Sprinkle with the capers and the lemon zest. Add the broth, garlic, oregano and water. Heat to a boil on the stove; cover and bake in the oven until the beans and meat are tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate overnight.
On serving day, remove the pot from the refrigerator and skim the fat off the surface; bring to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Stir in the carrots and bake to heat through, about 35 minutes. Before serving, stir in the parsley.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per serving: 470 calories, 40g carbohydrate, 44g protein, 14g fat, 115mg cholesterol.