Orange Cranberry Pork Stew
This is a flavorful and tender pork stew, made colorful with the addition of fresh cranberries. Serve over rice for a hearty main dish that’s company-worthy.
- 1 medium orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons green onions, diagonally sliced
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 130mins
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Peel and section orange over a bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Set sections aside; reserve juice.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
Sprinkle pork evenly with salt. Add pork to pan; sauté 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
Add 1/2 cup chopped onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in orange sections, orange juice, stock, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sambal.
Cover; bake 1 hour.
Remove from oven and stir in cranberries. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until pork is fork-tender.
Place 1 cup rice in each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 3/4 cup pork mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons green onions.
You'll also love
- Tenderloin tips with mushroom... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Braised Lamb Shanks with North... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Dutch Apple Pie Jam 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Strawberry Ice Cubes 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Huckleberry (or blueberry) German... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Bolillos - Mexican Oval Rolls 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Vegetarian Mandarin Orange Lo Mein... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Orange Crush Cupcakes 4/5 (26 Votes)