- 1 turkey carcass, including skin, giblets, drippings
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped , will discard
- 6-8 sprigs cilantro
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 celery stalks with tops, roughly chopped
- 10 peppercorns
- (Above) stock
- 1 1/2 c each, chopped carrots, onion and celery
- fresh cilantro, chopped, 4 Tbsp
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp ground marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 c leftover chopped/shredded turkey meat
- Egg noodles
1. Breakup the bones of the carcass, put the bones, drippings and skin in a pot and cover with cold water by an inch. Add all other stock ingredients.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cook at a simmer or just below a simmer.
3. Cook for at least 4 hours, uncovered or partially uncovered, skimming off any foam that comes to the surface.
4. Remove the bones and veggies, strain the stock through a fine mesh strainer.
5. At this point you can freeze for future use, or make the soup.
6. To make the soup, add all of soup ingredients, except noodles, and bring to a boil, then cook on a low simmer for about an hour.
7. Prepare enough noodles for meal, depending on number to be served.
8. Put noodles in individual bowls, dish up soup.