Curried Eggplant with Tomatoes and Basil
- 1 * 1 cup white basmati rice
- * kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 * 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 * 1 onion, chopped
- 2 * 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 * 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 * 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 * 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 * 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 * 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (preferably Greek), optional
1. In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine the rice, 1 ½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Stir the rice once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, eggplant, curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until eggplant is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Stir in the chickpeas and cook just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
6. Remove the vegetables from heat and stir in the basil. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve the vegetables over the rice with yogurt, if using.
You'll also love
- Butternut Squash and Sage Pizza 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dijon Cream with Penne 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Honey Mustard & Apple Pork... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Angie's Dad's Best Cabbage Coleslaw 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mushroom and Tomato Flatbread... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tomato Cheese Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Eggplant & Arugula Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)