Beef Teriyaki - Grilled
- 2 pounds sirloin steak tips (flap meat), trimmed of excess fat
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking grate
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 medium scallions, white parts minced and green parts sliced thin on bias, separated
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup sake
- ½ cup mirin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. FOR THE STEAK: Cut steak with grain into 2 to 3 even pieces. (If total length of steak is 12 inches or less, cut into 2 pieces. If over 12 inches, cut into 3 pieces.) Holding knife at 45-degree angle, slice each piece against grain into 4 to 5 slices about ½ inch thick. Combine remaining ingredients, except scallion greens, in gallon-sized zipper-lock bag and toss to combine. Place meat in bag, press out as much air as possible, and seal. Refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 1 hour, flipping bag every 15 minutes to ensure that meat marinates evenly.
2. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal (6 quarts, about 100 briquettes) and allow to burn until coals are fully ignited and partially covered with thin layer of ash, about 20 minutes. Build modified two-level fire by arranging all coals over half of grill, leaving other half empty. Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat about 5 minutes; scrape grate clean with grill brush. Dip wad of paper towels in oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill is ready when side with coals is medium-hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grate for 3 to 4 seconds).
3. FOR THE SAUCE: While grill is heating, whisk sauce ingredients together in small saucepan until combined. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer ¾ cup sauce to small bowl and set aside to serve with cooked meat.
4. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Grill over hot coals, uncovered, until well seared and dark brown on first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip steak and grill until second side is well seared and dark brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Brush top of meat with 2 tablespoons sauce; flip and cook 30 seconds. Brush meat with remaining 2 tablespoons sauce; flip and cook 30 seconds longer.
5. Transfer meat to serving platter and let rest 5 minutes. Sprinkle with scallion greens and serve, passing reserved sauce separately.