Apricot Oat bars
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 (13 ounce) jar apricot jam or preserves (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 8 dried apricots, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packed cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, at room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. Line the bottom and sides of the dish with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with vegetable oil cooking spray and set aside.
Filling: In a small mixing bowl, mix together the jam and the apricots. Set aside.
Crust: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Stir in the oats and walnuts. Add the butter, egg and vanilla and stir until incorporated.
Using a fork or clean fingers, lighty press half of the crust mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Using a spatula, spread the filling over the crust leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge of the pan. Cover the filling with the remaining crust mixture and gently press to flatten. Bake until light golden, about 30-35 minutes. Cool for 1 hour. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.