Spicy Sausage and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 (16-ounce) package spicy pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 2 heads cauliflower, trimmed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Garnish: shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onion
1.In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until sausage is browned and crumbles. Remove sausage, and reserve drippings in pan. (Drippings should equal about 1⁄4 cup.) Reduce heat to medium; add vegetable oil. Add flour, and cook, whisking to remove any lumps, until light brown. Stir in chicken broth, whisking to remove any lumps. Add cauliflower, and simmer until tender and begins to fall apart. Stir in half-and-half.
2.To serve, top each bowl with desired amount of crumbled sausage. Garnish with Cheddar cheese and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: For a smoother soup, purée in a food processor before adding half-and-half. To make Sausage Pinwheels (recipe follows), reserve 1 cup of cooked sausage.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (896 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cakes 4.5/5 (114 Votes)
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp over... 4.5/5 (103 Votes)