Spicy Sausage and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 (16-ounce) package spicy pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 2 heads cauliflower, trimmed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Garnish: shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onion
1.In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until sausage is browned and crumbles. Remove sausage, and reserve drippings in pan. (Drippings should equal about 1⁄4 cup.) Reduce heat to medium; add vegetable oil. Add flour, and cook, whisking to remove any lumps, until light brown. Stir in chicken broth, whisking to remove any lumps. Add cauliflower, and simmer until tender and begins to fall apart. Stir in half-and-half.
2.To serve, top each bowl with desired amount of crumbled sausage. Garnish with Cheddar cheese and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: For a smoother soup, purée in a food processor before adding half-and-half. To make Sausage Pinwheels (recipe follows), reserve 1 cup of cooked sausage.
You'll also love
- Creamy Beef Noodle Bake 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Turkey Breast with Spinach-Feta... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Cranberry Serrano Relish 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Cauliflower Parmesan Cheese Crust... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- BROCCOLI-CAULIFLOWER SALAD with... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE STRATA 4.5/5 (12 Votes)