Hearty Artichoke Penne
- 2 jars artichoke hearts marinated in oil - (6 oz ea)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans plum tomatoes - (28 oz ea) crushed, with
- their juices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cooked penne pasta for 6 to 8 people
Drain the artichokes and halve them lengthwise, reserving the artichokes and the oil marinade separately.
Place 3 tablespoons of the artichoke oil in a heavy pot. Add the onion and wilt, stirring, over low heat for 10 minutes; add the garlic during the last 2 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and red-pepper flakes.
Add the beef and brown over medium heat, breaking up the clumps. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Stir and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
Add the reserved artichokes and remaining oil marinade and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring. Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasonings. Serve over cooked penne.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving (based on 8): 472 calories, 57g carbohydrates, 21g protein, 18g fat, 38mg cholesterol.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Buffalo Ranch Alfredo Pasta 4.5/5 (688 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (677 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Penne Pasta with Sun Dried Tomato... 4.5/5 (356 Votes)