Fabulous French Toast
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter more if necessary
- 8 slices challah, 1" thick (or brioche or other egg bread)
- Maple syrup and jam for serving
Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
Melt a teaspoon of the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Soak 2 slices of bread at a time in the batter for about 1 minute, pressing down on the bread so that it absorbs the batter. Cook in the skillet until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
Serve immediately with syrup or jam or keep warm, loosely covered with foil, in a 200 degree oven while cooking the remaining slices.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving (made with whole milk) without syrup or jam: 370 calories, 47g carbohydrates, 15g protein, 13g fat, 265mg cholesterol.