- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (abt 4 1/2 to 5 lbs)
- 3/4 cup defatted chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 hothouse (seedless) cucumber
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads Boston lettuce cleaned, and tough outer leaves removed
- 1 pint ripe cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/3 cup imported black olives
- 1/4 pound Roquefort cheese cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup whole flat-leaf parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place the chicken in a shallow baking pan to fit. Pour the broth on top, season with salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through, basting once or twice. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Cut chicken into thirds, diagonally; set aside.
Using a vegetable peeler, cut 4 strips vertically along the cucumber. Halve the cucumber lengthwise and then cut into 1/4-inch slices; reserve.
For the dressing, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Tear the lettuce leaves into medium-sized pieces and place atop the dressing. Add the tomatoes, olives, reserved cucumber and chicken. Gently fold together from underneath, coating with dressing.
Add the cheese and parsley; toss carefully.
Adjust seasonings and serve in a very large, shallow bowl or on a large, decorative platter.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving (based on 8): 409 calories, 4g carbohydrates, 55g protein, 18g fat, 154mg cholesterol.