Baked Hush Puppies
- Vegetable oil, butter or cooking spray, for greasing
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a 24-cup mini muffin pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the onion, milk, eggs and butter. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the flour mixture is just moistened.
4. Spoon 1 Tbsp. of the batter into each of the prepared mini muffin cups. Bake for 10 min., or until the hush puppies are firm to the touch and golden brown around the edges.