Sunday Morning Breakfast Casserole
I love this Sunday Morning Breakfast Casserole. it has become a family favorite on Sundays but can of course be enjoyed any day or time. This one dish wonder casserole features bread, eggs, sausage, potatoes and cheese. Yum!
- 2 slices white bread (I used leftover french bread from dinner the night before. If there is any way you can do this I highly recommend it!)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced cooked, unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups mixed cheddar & Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
Grease a 2.5-3 quart baking dish (attractive enough to bring to the table) with butter, oil, or cooking spray. Cube the bread and place in the dish in a single even layer.
In a large skillet, cook the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until it's almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain off the fat. Layer the sausage over the bread, and top with potatoes. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and potatoes in the casserole. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to cook the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Bake the casserole until set and golden about 30 minutes. Serve hot.