Hearty Tuscan Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- 2 cans (15 oz each) reduced-sodium pinto beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz Italian turkey sausage (about 2 links)
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pkg (5 oz) baby spinach
- 16 melba toast rounds
- 3 tbsp shreaded Italian blend cheese (about 1 1/2 oz)
1. Drain and rinse pinto beans with Small Stainless Mesh Colander. Transfer half of the beans to Manual Food Processor; process until almost smooth. Set aside both whole and mashed beans.
2. Heat oil in Rockcrok Dutch Oven over medium heat 3-5 minutes. Remove casings from sausage; cook 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles with Mix 'N Chop.
3. Using Veggie Wedger, wedge onion, then chop with Food Chopper. Peel sweet potato with Serrated Peeler; cut in half crosswise. Cut into chunks then coarsely chop with Food Chopper. Add onion, sweet potato and garlic pressed with Garlic Press to Dutch Oven; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until onions are softened.
4. Stir all beans, chicken stock, tomatoes, seasoning mix and pepper into Dutch Oven. Cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
5. Remove Dutch Oven from heat; add spinach. Cover; let stand 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. STOP HERE if not serving right away. You can refrigerate at this point after cooling for 20 minutes.
6. When ready to serve: Preheat broiler. If soup is cold, heat to serving temperature. Top soup with melba rounds; sprinkle with cheese.
6. Place Dutch Oven 2-4 in. from heating element. Broil 2-4 minutes or until rounds and cheese are lightly browned. Ladle soup and croutons into bowls.
U.S. Nutrients per serving (1 1/3 cups and 2 toasts): Calories 230, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 680 mg, Carbohydrate 28 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 14 g