- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons finely-minced garlic
- 6 cups defatted chicken broth
- 3 pounds fresh asparagus
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 large ripe tomato seeded, and cut into small dice
Melt the butter in the oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the broth; heat to boiling.
Trim woody ends off the asparagus. Reserve the tips, then cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces; add to broth. Add the carrots, parsley, tarragon, salt, pepper and cayenne to broth. Simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Puree in batches in a blender or a food processor, then strain soup back into the pot.
Before serving, add the asparagus tips and simmer over medium-low heat until the tips are tender and soup is hot, about 10 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, and a sprinkling of diced tomato.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (without sour cream): 184 calories, 23g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 7g fat, 10mg cholesterol.