6 Steps To Perfect Quinoa
- Uncooked Quinoa
1. Rinse and repeat. This is the most important step. Quinoa must be rinsed thoroughly and really well before cooking to wash off the saponin (soap-like coating that protects the grains). Pour uncooked quinoa into a bowl. Add water. Swish with your hands to remove the saponin. Dump the wet quinoa in a fine-net strainer. Rinse it again under running water. This will remove all traces of the saponin's bitterness, and your quinoa will taste slightly sweet and nutty.
2. In a saucepan, using 1 part washed quinoa and two parts liquid, bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it cook for about 15 minutes without stirring or peeking.
4. Sample: If the texture is chewy, cook it a few more minutes.
5. When you're satisfied with the taste and texture, remove pan from heat and let it sit, covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Fluff: Use a fork to gently separate the seeds, fluffing the grains.