Beef with Snow Peas
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry or cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced very thin against the grain
- 3 tablespoons peanut or olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh snow peas, trimmed
- 5 whole scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces on the diagonal
- Crushed red pepper
- Salt, as needed (use sparingly!)
- Jasmine or long grain rice, cooked according to package directions
In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, brown sugar and ginger. Add the beef to a separate bowl and pour one-third of the liquid over the top. Save the rest of the liquid. Toss the beef and set aside.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet (iron is best) over high heat. Add the snow peas and stir for 45 seconds and get as much color on them as possible. Remove to a plate.
Allow the skillet to get very hot again. With tongs, add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl. Spread out the meat as you add it to skillet, but do not stir for a good minute. (You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount a time as possible.) Sprinkle half the scallions over the meat. Flip the meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.
Repeat with the other half of the meat, allowing the skillet to get very hot again first. After flipping, add the first plateful of meat, the reserved liquid, the crushed red pepper and snow peas. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, and then turn off the heat. Check seasonings and add salt only if it needs it. The mixture will thicken as it sits. Serve immediately over rice.
You'll also love
- Grilled Orange Roughy 3.7/5 (9 Votes)
- BANG-BANG Shrimp 4/5 (1 Votes)
- ROAST STUFFED PORK LOIN WITH... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Chops with Mango Chutney 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Layered Casserole with Beef,... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Stir Fried Beef in Spicy Hunan... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Black Bean Salad with Corn, Red... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate and Black Bean Chile... 4/5 (1 Votes)