Oriental chicken salad
- 2 -3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (depending on the amount of chicken you like)
- 1 head cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 2 (2 1/2 ounce) packages slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 packages Top Ramen noodles or 2 packages other ramen-type soup
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 ⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Prepare dressing and set aside.
Smash noodles of Top Ramen (discard seasoning packets) and brown over medium heat in 3 tbs oil.
Once noodles have begun to slightly brown, add slivered almonds.
If you start to brown the Ramen and almonds at the same time, the almonds will burn before the Ramen browns.
Once the ramen noodles have turned a dark golden brown, remove from heat and set aside.
Combine cabbage, green onions, chicken and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
Add the ramen/almond mixture and stir well.
Add dressing and stir to coat.
I generally prepare the dressing right before serving.
If it sits in the refrigerator too long, it gets very thick and won't remix well.
Also, this amount of dressing is just the right amount to give the salad a good coating.
If you are one of those who likes more dressing, I would recommend making 1/2 batch of extra dressing.
If you plan on eating this left over, keep in mind that the noodles will not stay crunchy.