Balsamic and Shallot Chicken Breasts
- 6 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with pepper and salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to pan. Add chicken, meat-side down; cook 7 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; cook 3 minutes. Place chicken on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until done.
3. Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining oil, shallots, and garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato and tomato paste; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add vinegar; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 20 minutes or until reduced to 2/3 cup, stirring occasionally. Serve sauce with chicken. Sprinkle with green onions.