Olive Oil and Oregano Potato Cake
Recipe Source: Bon Appetit | December 2005
Do ahead: Can be made ahead. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus more for oiling dish
- 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes, each peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided
1. Oil 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 18 minutes. Drain; return to same pot. Stir over low heat to dry, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup oil. Mash until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in 1 tablespoon oregano. Spread in prepared dish; smooth top.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake potatoes uncovered 30 minutes. Stir to distribute any crusty parts; press again to even layer. Bake until very hot and beginning to get crusty on bottom, about 45 minutes longer.
3. Remove potatoes from oven and preheat broiler. Broil potatoes until golden and crusty on top, repositioning for even cooking, about 4 minutes. Cut potato cake into 8 squares. Cut each square in half on diagonal. Transfer potato wedges to platter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon oregano.